(Exercising Your Mind) Federal Law against Marijuana use, is based on the assertion that it has ‘no medical value’ and is a ‘toxic, addictive, and dangerous drug’; thus placing it in the most illegal drug category of what the D.E.A. calls:
- Drugs in schedule 1 are the most stringently controlled.
- Schedule 1 drugs are not authorised for medical use and can only be supplied, possessed or administered by a person authorised by a licence issued by the Home Office. Such licences are granted for research or special purposes.
- These drugs cannot be prescribed by doctors or dispensed by pharmacists.
- This is the closest that British/American law comes to total prohibition.
- Drugs in schedule 1 include LSD, Cannabis and raw opium.
Despite this, 11 States including Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Vermont, Washington, and now Rhode Island; have legalized medical marijuana. It can now be grown in these states, and used for medical purposes.
Many people will be able to benefit from this, including many cancer sufferers. In September 2005, the National Jewish News reported that the International Cannabinoid Research Society met with and shared research findings with executives from many ‘powerful’ pharmaceutical companies, including: Pfizer, Eli Lilly, Bristol Myers Squibb, and Merck. In October 2005 the journal ‘Mini-reviews in Medical Chemistry’ published a scientific review called “Cannabinoids and Cancer“.
These studies demonstrated that marijuana and other cannabinoids, have significant anti-proliferation(to cause to stop growing rapidly, or multiplying) effects on cancer cells, including; the inhibition of lung carcinoma, lymphoma / leukemia, glioma, brain tumors, breast cancer, prostate cancer, and colorectal cancer. Many of the pharmaceutical ‘giants’ reject the suggestion of using marihuana plants for medicine; while at the same time developing patent$ for synthetics and derivatives based on its active ingredients.